Considering Life Insurance? Ask Yourself 6 Questions
Use the answers to determine what coverage fits you and your family best.
Shopping and buying life insurance don’t have to be complicated. Getting started is as simple as asking yourself these six questions. Whether you plan to buy online or with an agent, your answers will sharpen your scope to the type of coverage that fits you best.
- Who would you like to protect? Are you getting life insurance for yourself? A spouse? A child? Age plays a critical part because life insurance typically gets more expensive with age. Nearly 4-in-10 insureds wish they had purchased their policies at a younger age.1
- What would you like your life insurance policy to achieve? Life insurance can provide you with peace of mind knowing that your loved ones have the protection to help pay off bills, debts and everyday living expenses. It can also fulfill a desire to leave behind a legacy for your loved ones. Each person’s reasoning will be unique to their own situation.
- What should you consider when applying? Understand that some products require a health screening, but don’t let this stand in your way. In fact, certain lifestyle factors can lower your rate, like maintaining a healthy weight and not smoking.
- How long would you like the coverage to last? Life insurance is offered in two simple options: indefinite coverage (permanent) or for a specific length of time (i.e. 30 years).
- What is your total debt? Ideally, your life insurance would enable your loved ones to pay off any remaining debts. Calculate your leftover balances on credit cards, rents or mortgages and student loans.
- How much coverage do you think you’ll need? The number depends on your unique situation and desires. A good baseline is to take your income and multiply it by seven.
When it comes to buying life insurance, there’s no time like the present. With these answers, you’re ready to take the next step – and we’re here to help. For a free quote, contact your local AAA Insurance Agent at 1-800-222-1469 or go to AAA.com/Life.