Questions to Ask Your Insurance Agent
As with any major purchase, it’s important to do your homework. By talking with an insurance agent and asking the right questions, you’ll have a better chance of getting the right coverage for your vehicles and your home.
Here are a few questions to ask your agent:
When purchasing auto insurance:
- What discounts do you offer? Among the many discounts most insurance companies offer are those for safe drivers and students with good grades. You’ll also generally save money by buying more than one policy from the same company – such as a car and a home policy.
- If I have an accident can my rates go up, even if it’s not my fault? Because policies vary, ask under what circumstances your premium will be impacted.
- What will I get paid if my car is totaled? This is important to know. If you have an older car with a low market value, the cost of collision and comprehensive insurance may outweigh the benefits.
When purchasing home insurance:
- If my home is destroyed in a disaster, what will my insurance policy cover? Standard home insurance will pay replacement value to help policyholders rebuild their home. Talk to an agent to ensure that your specific needs will be met by your policy. In some areas, policyholders can purchase increased coverage through an optional endorsement.
- Will my home insurance cover all disasters that could happen in my area? Standard home insurance covers disasters such as fire, lightning, theft, vandalism, or damage from smoke, water, or wind. It does not cover damage caused by floods or earthquakes. Insurance to cover those events can be purchased separately.
- What are the coverage limits on items like jewelry, art, or other expensive items, if they’re stolen or lost?Ask your agent to walk you through the special limits of liability for personal property for the policy he or she recommends. Consider purchasing more coverage through endorsements for high-value items.
- What is the maximum amount of liability my home policy will cover? There is a range of liability limits to suit most needs. Factors you may want to consider are your net worth, the activities you and your family engage in, and the amount of protection you want should you be pursued in a lawsuit.
- Will my possessions be covered if they’re lost or stolen outside of my home? Most policies will cover things like jewelry or other expensive items that are stolen from your car or stolen or lost while traveling – up to a limit. Your policy may also cover your children’s belongings if they live in a dormitory during their college years. Check with your agent to be sure.
Contact your local AAA Insurance agent to review your policy by visiting AAA.com/insurance or call toll-free 1-800-222-1469.